Welcome to Benjamin Grosof’s Homepage
- Expertise in IT Research and R&D — Science, Design, and Leadership
- especially Artificial Intelligence (AI)
- Industry leader in theory and practice of how to reason with, and acquire, logical knowledge — in AI and data querying/integration
- Pioneer of semantic technology and industry standards for
- rules, ontologies, their acquisition from natural language; and
- their applications in finance/accounting, e-commerce, policies, e-learning, life science, defense intelligence analysis, legal regulations/contracts, and security/privacy/trust.
- Extensive experience in user interaction design, and in combining logical methods with machine learning (ML) and probabilistic uncertainty
- Accenture: Principal Director and Research Fellow, Artificial Intelligence. Technical executive for an ambitious initiative on leveraging AI for business process automation across Accenture’s $7.5B+ Operations group. Responsibilities include strategy, design, and management, and draw upon areas of expertise such as knowledge representation and reasoning (KRR), natural language processing (NLP), and machine learning (ML).
- Coherent Knowledge: Co-Founder and Board Member of the AI software startup that is commercializing a major research breakthrough (Rulelog) in logical/probabilistic knowledge representation and reasoning (KRR), combined closely with natural language processing (NLP) and complementing machine learning (ML).
- RuleML, Inc.: Co-Founder and Board Member of the non-profit organization that leads the influential Rule Markup Initiative industry standards design body and organizes the annual international Web Rules Symposium research conference.
- Coherent Knowledge: In addition to co-founding Coherent Knowledge in 2013, Benjamin Grosof served as the CTO and CEO from 2013 to 2017.
- RuleML, Inc.: In addition to co-founding RuleML, Benjamin Grosof served as Co-Chair from 2000 to 2005.
- Benjamin Grosof & Associates: Principal of a part-time expert consulting firm founded while at MIT, that specialized in technology strategy and design, custom education, and intellectual property expert witness work, from 2000 to 2017.
- Vulcan, Inc.: Senior Research Program Manager in advanced AI at the asset management company of Paul G. Allen, co-founder of Microsoft (headed approximately a third of the organization that was the predecessor of the Allen Institute for AI), from 2007 to 2013.
- MIT Professor: Assistant Professor in Information Technology, at MIT’s Sloan School of Management (2000-2007); and DARPA Principal Investigator there.
- IBM Research: senior software scientist on AI, leading projects on intelligent agents and on business rules for e-commerce, at IBM’s main lab (in the group that later produced the IBM Watson system) from 1988 to 2000
- Stanford Ph.D.: in computer science, specialty AI; full fellowships from the Fannie and John Hertz Foundation, NSF, and GE
- Harvard B.A.: in applied mathematics, specialty economics and management science